Ottumwa Baptist Temple began on May 24, 1934. It was started in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas McGraw on Richmond Ave with 70 charter members. OBT was first started as Fundamentalist Baptist Church.
In July of 1934 The property on Williams street was bought and a simple wood structure was built. In 1944 an addition, consisting of 500 seat auditorium and classroom space, was built. Later the same year, the church was renamed Ottumwa Baptist Temple.
Our three level Sunday School Building was built in 1955. With the church running out of seating space, our current auditorium and classrooms were built in 1968. The old auditorium was taken down, and the Sunday School and auditorium buildings were connected. Later, our bus barn was built to house our busses.
Currently, we still use the same facilities. Our services, senior Sunday school, and most primary classes all meet in the main auditorium building. The Homebuilders class, teens, first through six grade Sunday schools, Jr. churches, and print ministry room are all located in the Sunday School building.
A brief history of pastors start with H. C. Peterson as the first pastor in 1934.
Pastor L. DeVries 1935-1936.
Pastor Charles McDowell 1937-1943.
Pastor Roland King 1944-1946.
Pastor A. D. Pringle 1947-1990.
Pastor Greg Lockett 1990-1999
Pastor Randy Miller 1999-present.